As I sit here trying to write my first blog entry “momma” has been yelled at least 15 times in the past 10 minutes.
We have 3 cherubs plus a rotational live in cherub. They are 16, 15, 14 and 10
My littlest cherub is making a homemade cheesecake, my middle one is trying to finish geometry (of which I am really totally useless) and my oldest ones are trying to get ready for a double date. They need more hair gel, deodorant, clean shirt and can’t find the car keys.
To make matters worse littlest cherub literally just said, ‘Momma who is going to read your blog besides your friends who don’t want to hurt your feelings?” Which may be true, but it is so cathartic.
But I have been inspired. I feel moved to share what we have learned over the course of almost 20 years of marriage, 4 cherubs (3 of whom are now teenagers) and some bumpy roads. Like so many of you mommas out there, I work full-time and try to juggle motherhood and wife hood. Oh and for kicks I think I am peri-menopausal; Hot flashes, mood swings, it is like having a permanent pms. I am not that delightful to be around all the time.
So my hopes in sharing Just Your Average Momma, with you is to let you know that you don’t have to be talented, artistic or gifted in any way. It is OK to be cranky and exhausted. There is a way to fix that potentially scarring thing you just said to your ten-year old. You can squeeze sex into your schedule and you can achieve really awesome moments thanks to loving supportive friends and our Father in Heaven.
I am not a theologian, psychologist, teacher or psychiatrist. I just figure I cannot be the only mom out there treading water and flailing around like that robot in Lost in Space. I only have hands on experience. I am so grateful for the moms that have already been down these paths and navigated these waters. My hope for this blog is to offer the “I tried this and it worked (or didn’t work) experience. Stuff like;
- I have finally figured out how to budget and frankly I rock at it. I was pretty frivolous in past. Now I can feed a family of 5 + another delightful giant cherub who lives with us on $150.00 a week.
- I have finally figured out some DIY projects that turned out soooo much better than I expected, as I am not artistically gifted.
- I have had some great successes as a parent and some dismal attempts at various tactics
- I am happily married to the most wonderful man whom I almost divorced 5 years ago had I not been surrounded by wonderful women of faith
- I used to plow through life with almost no faith but I now talk to God ALL THE TIME, I try to involve Him in any decision, trial victory or just appreciation as much as possible. I also still fail miserably at making Him my first priority.
- I will share my favorite cost-effective recipes
- I will commiserate parenting woes with you
With God’s Grace we get through each day, some with flying colors and others with a few challenges, but the challenging days are so much better knowing that He has us in the fold of his arms.
Psalms 37:24 though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand.